Sunday, September 27, 2009

Another Bump and Ended Up In The Hospital!

While I was posting the last blog on Friday, Kurt had not been feeling well all day. Then around 5:30 pm he started to throw-up and kept doing several times. I called the hospital around 8:00 to see how to give him his night meds and keep them down. They decided that they should see Kurt tonight. So Kurt was not happy that I had called, but he was really sick. By the time we got ready, and I never know how long he will stay, so I packed some of his things we got to the hospital around 9:30 pm. They had to come and get him in a wheelchair, because he was so weak. I took our things up to the room, and they were admitting him. They gave him IV nausea medicine and then started giving him fluids, because his blood pressure was low and he was dehydrated. I decided to spend the night because he is still suppose to have 24/7 care and I knew that the nurses couldn't sit in there all night. The new rooms do have a chair that folds out to a bed, and I actually slept a little. Kurt took some ambien to help him, and he slept too, in between going to the bathroom and the nurses coming in during the night.
They came in the morning and told us that his counts looked pretty good, and his nausea was much better and after only having 1 IV nausea for the whole night. They told him to eat some breakfast and see if he could keep it down and not get sick. The PA told him that he might get to go home later. So he ate, had another chest X-Ray, (I think they are really watching for H1N1 in these patients) and then by the time they decided he could go home, they wanted him to eat some lunch and keep it down. We told them that we needed to be home by 4:00 to watch the BYU game. The PA being a UTE fan told him if he was going to go home to watch the game, that she wouldn't let him go home. He didn't think she was very funny.
Around 4:00 after they had given him all his meds, he was let go. We listened to the game on the way home, and then watched the rest at home. It was really nice to have to stay only one night.
They did tell us that this process takes a long time and that we will probably have to go back in at some time in the future. We're going to try our hardest to not let that happen. They also started him on another IV, so now I get to give him meds all day long. I really think I should become a nurse!
Cindee

No comments:

Post a Comment