Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What a Shock!

Monday I got up to the hospital and Kurt had just come back from an MRI of the brain and CT scan of his lungs. He is still confused and so they wanted to check his brain. A little while later the PA came in and asked me to come and talk to the DR. I knew this wasn't going to be good. In a conference room she showed me the pictures of his lungs and read the report of the brain. She said it was bad. He has a fungal infection in his lungs and it is the bad kind. They also think that some of the infection has traveled up to his brain and causing the confusion and what they call mini strokes. They told me that it was a very hard infection to cure, and that they didn't know if they could fix it. She told me that I should call our families and have them come up. She did say that she wanted to confer with a infectious disease doc and an neurologist. Once all of our families got up there, the disease docs talked to us and said that there was one more drug they could use and see if that would help, but they said it was bad and didn't know if it would help. Everyone went in a couple at a time to talk to him, which he isn't doing much of. When Kelli took her kids in, he started to cry and said am I dying? It was so hard to see. We told him that he is very sick with a lung infection and they were going to try a new medicine to get it better. It was a very hard night for all of us, and I think he knew what was going on.
The disease docs said that it would take a few days to see if there was improvement. They also told us that his liver could get worse being on these meds. So my kids and I decided that we would try this new medicine and see if it would work on the infection. And they would check his liver everyday and if this didn't help, that we would take away the meds that he has been on for the transplant and Graft Versus Host disease, and that it wouldn't take long for him to go. This has been devastating to us as a family, and the bad thing is that Kurt asked the Dr. today if he was going to die? I'm so grateful to everyone for their prayers and help, right now we need to pray really hard that he gets better. I still can't believe what I heard yesterday, and I'm so sorry to tell all of you this way. I will keep you updated hopefully as soon as we know something. Thank you again.
Cindee

No comments:

Post a Comment